ACTLA Online Tutoring Program Certification
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
(FAQ-Online Tutoring Program Certification-PDF)
- What are the benefits of having a certified online tutoring program?
ANSWER: The benefits to certification are as follows:
- Recognition as a model for other online tutoring programs;
- Institutional recognition by administrators, faculty, staff, and students;
- Increased confidence by students, staff, faculty, and administrators in the quality and effectiveness of your online tutoring program;
- Opportunity to further develop your online tutoring program;
- Professional satisfaction from having a recognized certified online tutoring program based on the ACTLA Online Tutoring Standards and endorsement by the Council for Learning Assistance and Developmental Education Associations (CLADEA); and
- Support for your institution accreditation with your certified online tutoring program.
- How will ACTLA recognize my online tutoring program certification?
ANSWER: Recognition is as follows:
- A letter of congratulations by the Committee Chair and the ACTLA President;
- A certificate of recognition;
- An online tutoring certification graphic logo (dated) for use on the program’s website and online tutoring marketing materials;
- Recognition on the ACTLA website; and
- Formal recognition at the ACTLA annual conference.
- Do I have to be an ACTLA member in order to apply for the certification?
ANSWER: No. Although you are encouraged to be a member (www.actla.info), this is not required for your application and certification.
- Is this online tutoring program certification available only to colleges and universities in the United States?
ANSWER: No. The online certification is open to all colleges and universities that meet the online application prerequisites.
- Are stand-alone online Supplemental Instruction (SI) programs eligible for certification?
ANSWER: No. Since the primary role and focus of training of SI Leaders generally differ from those of tutors, stand-alone Supplemental Instruction (SI) programs are not eligible for certification.
- Is the online tutoring program certification available to online tutoring companies?
ANSWER: No. The certification is only open to colleges and universities at this time.
- If my online tutoring program is certified, am I able to certify my online tutors?
ANSWER: No. The certification is for your program only, not for your tutors.
- How should I get started with my application?
- Go to the ACTLA website (www.actla.info) and go to the Online Tutoring Certification tab. Read the documents on online certification so that you have an understanding of the certification and the process.
- Check to see if you have met the required application qualifications.
- Use the Working Copy of the Online Tutoring Program Certification application in MS Word to draft and review your responses and gather required documents to upload. When you are ready to submit, be prepared to copy and paste your responses from the Working Copy to the actual application and upload the required documents. NOTE: You will not be able to save and stop once you begin the application. Complete the Online Tutoring Program Certification application, submit, and pay the application fee.
9. What are the required qualifications for Online Tutoring Program Certification?
ANSWER: Programs which would like to be certified must meet the following criteria:
- Be from a two or four-year public/private college or university
- Providing synchronous online tutoring
- Conduct online tutoring with the institution’s students and/or professional tutors
- Have conducted online tutoring for at least one year
- Conduct training for online tutoring including general tutor training
- Use an interactive platform
- Conduct evaluation of the online tutors and assessment of the program
- Is there an application period?
ANSWER: Yes. Initial applications will be due by January 31, 2021. The next group of applications will be due by July 31, 2021.
- How much is the application fee and when do I pay the fee?
ANSWER: Your initial application fee will cost $300 and is due at the time you submit your application. Approved initial certifications will be granted for 3 years.
- Can I pay the application fee with a procurement card?
ANSWER: Yes. You can pay by credit/debit/procurement card using PayPal, or you can pay by check at the time you submit your application. To pay by credit/debit/procurement card, request an Online Tutoring Program Certification Fee Invoice Request to be emailed to you.
- When does my certification expire, how do I renew my certification, and what is the cost?
ANSWER: Your initial certification will expire in three years. You will receive an email reminder to begin the renewal process 3 to 6 months before your certification expires. A renewal application will be available online at the ACTLA website. The cost for each 3-year renewal is $200.
- If I have a question about completing the online application, how should I contact you?
ANSWER: Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask your question. In the subject line, write “Online Tutoring Program Certification Question.” Include your contact phone number in the body of your email.
- Will training be provided to help complete the application?
ANSWER: Yes. As they are developed, informational and sample materials will be available on the ACTLA website to help with developing your programs and completing the application. Informational sessions and conference presentations will also be available.
- Is there a way to make a correction/revision once I submit my application?
ANSWER: No. Once you submit your application, you will not be able to make any changes. We strongly recommend that you use the Working Copy of the application to prepare and review your responses and to gather your required documents to upload. When ready, you can copy and paste your responses from the Working Copy to the actual application. Keep a copy of your application and accompanying attachments prior to submitting. If a clarification or additional documentation is needed, we will contact you.
- Who are the reviewers?
ANSWER: The reviewers are online tutoring program directors/coordinators with first-hand knowledge and experience of all aspects of administering a successful online tutoring program.
- How can I certify other aspects of my tutoring and learning assistance program?
ANSWER: ACTLA is a member of the Council of Learning Assistance and Developmental Education Associations (CLADEA). The sister organizations to ACTLA offer certifications that may offer additional support. Visit CLADEA Member Events, Awards, Certifications, and Publications to find out more information.